Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grateful for Primary and Cowboys!




This weekend I had the privledge to spend time with my primary class. I am really impressed with my students. Cody commented that I have a good group of kids...and I do. I was able to get everyone in our class to a get together on Saturday where we ate pizza, practiced for our sharing time presentation, and played Twister. I think that everyone had a good time. On Sunday, the sharing time went well. Each of my students was prepared and I was grateful they were willing to do it. I love my Valiant 11 class!
I had my first tutoring session this week and it was a success. We both were able to get a lot done and even have some fun learning. I am grateful to Bianca and Mom Bowman for lending me some resources and tools that I needed!
Cody has been working extra hard on the ranch the past few weeks. I am grateful that he has Tanner with him, and I have work to do while he is gone so much. On Saturday, I went and helped with with the cows. Little did I know, that I would be so nervous when it came to being so close to the cows. Cody laughed at me because they were actually very small calves, but they seemed fairly big to me. Let me paint a picture for you of this very interesting experience. First of all the calves have been separated from their mother so they are bawling at the top of their lungs the entire time. Then they are driven down the chute and into a contraption that keeps them still. Then they are branded, given several shots, tagged in both ears and the heifers (girl calves) get their ear clipped off at the tip of their ear and the bulls (boy calves) are castrated. All this is done within about two minutes. This is a very traumatic time for the calves, but thankfully the most of the procedure is to help the cows stay healthy. For most of the morning, I was in charge of putting tags on the calf's ears. First off, I put the tags in wrong and a few misfortunate cows got a double painful piercing. Gratefully, I finally got into a groove after a few ruined tags, ears, and my face getting drenched in cow saliva. I went in to tag just as the cow was getting branded and he was bawling and thrashing, thus the accidental lick of my face. I tried not to freak out in front of the men, but I was obviously disturbed with the snot on my face. Cody wiped off the parts I didn't get to with his sleeve, and I pretended that I was not bothered by it. Thankfully it dried up along with the cow manure on other parts of my body and I was able to forget how filthy I was. Now, I thought I had a hard job, but Tanner got put into the chute with the calves. He had to pull them by their tails and push them to through with his leg. Needless to say, Tanner smelled horrible after the ordeal, had kaka all over his jeans, and was dead tired. I felt bad for the veterans that were there. It was definitely slow moving with two amateurs helping. Despite our performance Cody Whipple was grateful enough to take us to The Windmill Ridge for lunch. I was grateful to be done and surprised that I had been willing to help. I am glad that I went in as a blind volunteer because if I had known I don't think I would have had the experience.

Today I read out of a small pamphlet called Pursuit of Excellence. It gives adults guidlines to improve their lives in several areas. I think it has been around for a long time, but I really need to use it more often. It is made by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you need some guidlines on how to improve it is a great resource.




2 comments

  1. LUCY! i am so so proud of you! you are such a country girl! i don't know if i could handle cow saliva all over my face in front of men or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy once again i am jealous of you. i beg one of the ranchers in my parents ward to go to round ups and get in there and do what you do. i have so much fun doing it. i always swore that i would be a ranchers wife, but Heavenly Father had a Tall dark and handsome nerd in mind for me instead. :). i wish i could have been there with you guys.

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.