Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanks...giving!

The pumpkin hat that I am wearing was made by my talented sister-in-law, Bianca. Love it!




Becca and Holly. Funny story with this picture. Becca, just previous to this picture, had found a canister of Vaseline. She proceeded to plaster every ounce of the container onto her body and hair. You can see how her hair looks plastered to her head!!! ha. Love my Becca. All day long as Holly scrubbed her hair with dish soap and corn starch Becca would quietly say, "Sorry." She is soooo cute.



Holly and Joshua




Mom and Dad


Today I woke up in a better mood than I have been in a few days. Sometimes I get down, like most of us, but today I am grateful. Tis' the thankful season...


1. I have a wonderful, handsome husband that works hard, appreciates the meals I cook, eats lunch with me everyday, prays with me everyday and kisses me everyday.


2. I am grateful for my healthy body. I remember praying every night for years that the Lord would help me get braces and help me have clear skin. Buck teeth and acne were not exactly a young girl's wishes. My mom paid for my braces even after they came off and took me to countless dermatologist appointments. I am so thankful for her. I also continue to pray for physical strength every morning. Ever since I got Mono in high school I have struggled for energy and used to ache terribly in the morning. The Lord has healed me in more than one way!


3. My family is the best cheering section anyone could ask for.

Both Holly and Joanie have read my book and encouraged me with praise and great advice to improve the story. My family was so kind about the pictures I took and my effort to learn more about photography.

This week I called my mom and vented every frustration and disappointment. She, of course, validated my feelings, sympathized as only a mother can do, and helped me want to keep going. Even at 23, almost 24 years old, I have a hard time surviving without my mom. =)

My brother Jamie is in Japan serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was so thoughtful and wonderful to send Joanie and I a birthday gift clear from Japan. He even sent a birthday email early because he wasn't sure he would have time during my birthday. What a brother!

Dad is reading his scriptures, and I am so grateful for his love for me and our family.

Adelly called me and we remembered the summer we had together and how hard it was to part after Adell was finally getting used to having me around. =)
P.S. I am lucky enough to have another family-The Bowmans. Grateful for the time I get to spend with them.
4. I live in a free country. I heard there is going to be a fast for our nation soon. Definitely something worth fasting for.


5. I live in a peaceful community. So many people do silent service that only those that are the recipients and God have recorded. Grandma Pingree helped me to be grateful for this tiny town with no shopping mall, grocery store and other modern convenience. (You may be able to tell that I have been struggling with not living in a city like I have my entire life. I told Cody last night. "I miss shopping and my girlfriends." With a truly sympathetic look and voice he said, "I know." Cody is worth giving up all the shopping in the world.) In a thank you note that Grandma Pingree sent after she visited us she told me I was a lucky girl to live in such a great place. She says that if she had a Harry Potter wand she would whisk her whole house to Alamo. Thanks Grandma. I miss you.


6. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The knowledge I have of truth, alone is something to be grateful for. I have so much joy and comfort in knowing that my Heavenly Father knows me and that I can have an eternal family.



7. I was able to have so many fun times as I was growing up. I went to BYU-Idaho for three and a half years-participated in activities, leadership, dated and met great friends that I still have today. Lindsay, a past roommate in Rexburg and Vegas, just recently named her new puppy after me. I was not sure whether to be offended by the gesture or flattered. She assured me I should be flattered. I love reading Talise's blog (another amazing from BYU-I) and Candace texted me last night a line from a song that brought back good memories of working out with her at the BYU-Idaho gym. "I hear the secrets that you keep." I lived in Vegas with my friends for a year and a half and made more friends and memories there. From Redding, I continue to love the friends that I have been fortunate enough to keep since high school and some from elementary.


8. I am thankful that I got to go to Time Out For Women. I got to see Aunt Nancy who I really look up to. Sometimes I forget that she has overcome cancer because she has always been constant and firm in her faith and keeps a positive attitude. Speaking of positive attitudes. One of the speakers at the conference was Mary Ellen Edmonds. She told a wonderful little story about attitude.

I paraphrase: An older women went into the bathroom and discovered she only had three hairs on her head. "O" she says. "I can braid my hair today." The next morning she discovers in the mirror that she now only has two hairs. "O" she says. "I can wear pigtails in my hair today. The third day she glances in the mirror to find only one hair left on her head. "O" she says. "I can wear my hair in a ponytail today." On the fourth day she goes to the bathroom and finds not a hair on her head and she says, "O, I don't have to do my hair today." =)!!! All the speakers were great and a lot of the women were extremely funny and uplifting to listen to. I also saw my Aunt Marsha and Uncle Jeff. Always humbled to be around them. I owe them more than I will ever be able to repay.
All the ladies that came to Time Out for Women. Thanks Mom Bowman, Trina, and Robin for coming and sharing the weekend with us.

9. My sister gave me a link to get 50 free holiday cards. I made them this morning and they will be in the mail shortly. Free is fabulous.


10. Music does something great for me. There is music for every emotion I feel. I had Miley Cyrus's song "The Climb" on repeat one day! haaa. Not a likely favorite of mine, but it helped me.

None of these are in any particular order, but I wanted to share them.


Last weekend I took Joanie's senior pictures and Cody got to shop by himself. He expressed how nice it was to look around at things that he liked. I am guilty of pushing him on and pestering him when we are looking at something that doesn't interest me. =)

Joanie is beautiful, so getting good shots of her was not hard. I had fun taking them. I also got some shots of the rest of my family above.

5 comments

  1. Hey Lucy!!! Girl, you are lookin' incredible - absolutley gorgeous! Its so fun to read about your life with your Mr. Man. It sounds like you're always up to something fun - i love it.

    As for this post - it totally made me think of the things I'm grateful for too. I loved reading yours - thanks for putting things into perspective for me.

    Hey, can you send me that link for the photo cards? I've been thinking of doing Christmas Cards this year...hmm...
    ashleyrencher[at]gmail[dot]com

    Thanks Lucy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a photographer! Awesome. Also did you right some sort of book or did I read that wrong?! And if you need someone to hang out with or talk to just give me a call - I do have three kids in tow but I'm sure we could figure out something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hat! I wanted to buy one for Paige but Ben thinks I should learn to Make that stuff so he wont let me buy them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, Your pictures are beautiful! you should be proud. Thankyou so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. I don't think you realize the talent you have for the moving things you write and talk about. You are a beautiful, talented woman who is alwasy useing time wisely. I know sometimes it is hard but i hope you see how good and wonderfull of a person you are. You truly bless and inspire the lives of those around you. Thanks for being my sister!!

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.