Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mr. Covey knows...

Currently I am reading Steven Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I heard about the book forever ago, but never had a copy and never felt a dying need to read it. My brother and sister in law were kind enough to let us borrow it.
This book is very enlightening. I have found that my paradigms (way I see things) can truly be off sometimes and luckily we can fix them. Covey uses a great example of how he saw his son. Since his son was awkward, uncoordinated and a bit slower, he and his wife would push him to success and protect him from getting hurt. Soon they stepped back and asked themselves why they were pushing and protecting their son so much. They discussed how they could see and treat their son in a more effective way. Wonderfully enough, after they truly appreciated their son for his strengths and worried less about their own images as parents, their son flourished and became a great success in all aspects of his life. He progressed without hindrance from any outside expectations. Do we expect things from other because of how we might look? Do we believe that those we love are capable of being ok without our protection and constant guidance? Something I thought about.
Covey taught me that I could write a mission statement for my life. (You can also write one for family, work, or anything else.) The thing that really helped me to get the wheels turning was a question Mr. Covey asked. What would you like your husband/wife, children, friends, co-workers, fellow church members, etc. to say at your funeral? How do I want to be remembered? I actually wrote a response down, and it really helped me to prioritize and create goals that really mean something to me. Try answering that question in your mind or on paper!
I recently wrote my mission statement, and I think it will be a great way to measure my progress and keep me on track. You should write one too! My mission is to...
I feel like a motivational speaker, but I am empowered by many of the things that I have learned and wanted to share it. Now, I just have to apply these things tomorrow and the next day and the next!
Also, I realized again the principles Covey teaches are found in most of the enduring principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Covey is LDS, so I guess it makes sense) If we could let our focus of money, friends, spouse, family, possessions, enemies, etc. go, we would make decisions based on correct principles.
I am off my soapbox now. I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Cody is taking people on a trail ride today. I hope they have fun and want to come back. I found out I get to teach summer school at the elementary school, and I signed up for some classes at University of Phoenix online. Back to school! I also have peas growing in my planter and Cody planted some veggies today in our garden. I hope we can keep it growing this summer. I sure could use automatic watering!
Cheers!

Post a Comment

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.