Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello

I finally have some time to write. I just finished my last continuing education class for the summer. I am so glad to be done. I learned a lot, but it took a lot of my time and thought, as it should. =) I also finished summer school at the elementary. I really enjoyed working with the kids. I really hope that I was able to make a difference in their progress. It was a short time, but we did work hard while they were there. Supplement you child's education whenever you can!


Cody and I went to St. George this weekend for a doctors appointment for Cody. The appointment went well. We really like the doctor that we are seeing. He works really closely with Cody and has helped us to feel confident in being able to get better, no matter what it is.


Cody is doing better. His arm and leg are feeling more coordinated and he is feeling overall better. We feel so blessed.


While we were in St. George our friend, Alex Jensen, came to tell us about her trip to Tanzania, Africa. She worked at an orphanage for five weeks teaching English and Bible class. As we saw pictures of the cute children, we were startled at how many of them had been abused. One child's toes had been burned off by his father, a little girl had had her legs broken, and one baby boy had been left on his back for two months in a dark room. He is now left blind and mentally handicap. Each of the children had a sad story, but they had a smile on their face and played as any little child would play. Alex explained that they took care of each other and loved each other. The youngest child was always first in line for food. She has pictures of the children holding hands. The school had dirt floors, no windows and they children had little to eat. One hundred and ten children lived in small rooms...three children to a bed. Many do not have blankets to keep them warm at night. There is no toilet and toilet paper. The children have dirty clothes and few have shoes. Alex said that their eye sight is poor becuase the orphanage cannot afford to buy fruit for the meals. Alex said that she could buy ten banannas for ten children with one American dollar. She was able to buy some school supplies for the children, but it was not enough. I was just overwhelmed at what they lack and yet Alex had videos of the children laughing and singing. How much do we have? Are we unhappy? This is just a testament that the things we have do not give us happiness. Alex has made a lot of great trustworthy contacts in that area and is going to be sending money or supplies over. I have thought about getting some things together in our community to bless the lives of these children. We could gather school supply kits, make some blankets to keep a child warm at night, or send money for fruit. The smallest things go a long way with these children.


Speaking of blessings we take for granted...we got to go out to dinner with my sister Holly and her husband Mark. We also saw Tarzan at Tuachan. It was entertaining, but I think I had a harder time enjoying it becuase it was close to 100 degrees outside. St. George does not cool down like Alamo in the evenings.


We also had a nice visit with Cody's Aunt Claudia and Uncle Dave. They were here for a couple of days and blessed our lives with wonderful ways to be healthy and well!


I will soon post some great pictures of Cody on his kayak and rafting trip.


P.S. Our air conditioning stopped blowing cold air this week. We are so spoiled and we don't know it until it is gone!!


1 comment

  1. What a great experience for your friend! I think it would be a great idea to get some things together, I'm sure people around here would be happy to do what they can.

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.