Sunday, April 3, 2011

General Conference and the past few weeks

This is the first General Conference (a meeting where all the leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints speaks to and uplifts the members) that I have listened to where I have been a parent. There were many talks that focused on the importance of the family, the home, and the roles of parents and children. As I look at my sweet little angel, I am overwhelmed and excited at all that I am responsible for. She is so perfect and pure right now, and I can see now how parents want their children to stay just as innocent forever. Initially it is scary to think that I will have to let her go out into the world, but when I think about the Plan of Happiness I feel peace knowing that I can teach her who she is, where she came from and where she is going. I am also so grateful to know that I can control and create the home environment so that even when the outside world is harsh, unwelcoming, and chaotic, my children will have a place to come and feel love, acceptance and peace. Today Lynn G. Robbins of the Seventy said, "We need our children as much as they need us." I know that is true, and I look forward to Jane teaching me a lot about myself. Already, I have seen how just her presence has helped me to more firmly align my priorities with God's will. I am many things, but my roles as wife and mother are my highest priority.
Today, pain was discussed in the sense that only when we climb can we see the view. Since Jane's birth is still fresh in my mind, I have really thought about how temporary pain is, and even when pain is not temporary, how it prepares us for something greater than we can see. After the pain of labor I got to hold my daughter. After the frustrations and heartache of dating, I got to be sealed in the temple to my best friend for time and all eternity. After the hard work of a summer, I had the money to finish college and the humility I needed to lead. There are so many examples of my pains and afflictions being for my overall good. I see time and time again in my life the affects of trials and pain. In the moment of trial or pain, it can be hard not to feel that God is punishing me, but when the pain leaves I am always so grateful because a whole new vista is before me. As mentioned in D. Todd Christopherson's talk, I am glad that God is the gardener in my life, and He loves me enough to cut me down. Read the wonderful complete story here.

All of the talks that I heard today and yesterday were inspiring and made me want to try harder to be a better person. I am so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Recently, I have noticed that I am coping with life as a mother better these last few weeks. The evidence of this is...I leave the house with Jane (and not just for doctor appointments), I do not try to hide when it is time to feed Jane, and I am beginning to find all the little things that make Jane tick.

Joanie, my sister, has been a life-saver lately because she has watched Jane several times and even watched her one night so Cody and I could see Tangled at the movie theatres. I love that movie, and I especially like this song. Cody's cousin Audra also came to the rescue the other day by going to the store with me. She is a seasoned mom and has been wonderfully generous and helpful since I have had the baby!

I had a good week. I was able to have a pot luck with my classes. I brought seven layer bean dip and my students brought a variety of food. We just enjoyed each others company, and each student shared why they were glad they took the class and what they liked most about the class. One of the best parts of being a teacher is meeting so many wonderful people along the way. I have a picture of some of my students below.

This is the last week of the semester here at BYU-Idaho. Cody and I will be very busy, and then we get to welcome my family and his parents for the blessing of Jane at church. I am so excited to have family here. I have been looking forward to my husband blessing our baby for a long time now. I am sure it will be as sweet as I imagine.

Jane is growing and bringing joy to our lives. Below are some pictures...who do you think Jane looks more like--me or Cody?

I hope everyone has a lovely week!






3 comments

  1. look at all that gorgeous curly black hair!!! sooooo cute. i see a lot of lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so sweet. I think she looks more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a good chuckle when you called me a seasoned mom. mainly because i feel like i'm still a stress case.... which i will probably be for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.