Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chef Needed


My husband has asked me to take some culinary classes. 


I watch in awe at mothers and wives that find such joy in cooking meals for their family. I have spurts of not minding cooking, but never joyful, care-free feelings as I chop an onion, dice a tomato or burn the butter intended for sauteing. Whether this is attributed to my mother's tyrannical behavior when she cooked meals growing up or my feminist determination to show that men and women can trade roles occasionally, this realization about myself has led me to think that every mother that hates (oops, dislikes) cooking should employ a person that loves to cook and plan delicious meals. If a professional chef were affordable, it would be among my first expenditures.
Reason #1: My family would eat tasty and healthy meals consistently. **
Reason #2: I would be very happy and helpful during mealtimes.
Reason #3: If my grandmother's theory that "cooking is an expression of love" is true, then the food that we all ate would be filled with love and lovely nutrients.
Reason #4: I could even learn a few things from the chef, when I felt inclined.
Reason #5: I could spend the time that I am usually stressing about what to cook, how to cook it and where the ingredients went, guilt free and engaged in some worthy cause (not to say cooking is not a worthy cause).

**Let me make myself clear. I do cook healthy, and sometimes tasty, meals for my family, but I think that my life (and my family's life) would be infinitely better tasting and better used if I could employ a cook.

Now, if any of you have the secret to enjoying cooking and you have actually disliked it at one point, please pass your wisdom my way because I don't think I am going to be able to hire a chef for a few more years. =)

5 comments

  1. Lucy you are too cute! i don't hate cooking, but its not my favorite! my least favorite thing about cooking is the clean up afterwords.....ugh.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, of course, don't cook for a family, but maybe I can still have a little input. Do you have a crockpot? If not, get one. If so, USE IT!! It's so much easier and you can put it in and not worry about it and do other more enjoyable things. There are tons of websites with crockpot recipes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you 100%! I always say that someday, when we're rich I'm hiring a personal chef...and I won't feel guilty about it!!! It always seems like when I cook, it doesn't taste as good and I don't eat it anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know how to cook ground beef until college! But I love cooking now because I was able to teach myself and experiment with new recipes. What has helped me not stress when dinner time creeps up is having a weekly menu. Every Sunday I make our dinner list for the week and put together a grocery list. It makes everything more organized and quicker. Good luck Lucy!! Maybe designate Cody to cook once a week to help alleviate your stress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know how to cook ground beef until college! But I love cooking now because I was able to teach myself and experiment with new recipes. What has helped me not stress when dinner time creeps up is having a weekly menu. Every Sunday I make our dinner list for the week and put together a grocery list. It makes everything more organized and quicker. Good luck Lucy!! Maybe designate Cody to cook once a week to help alleviate your stress! :)

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.