Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Ins and Outs

Today is very ordinary, and I am loving it. Jane is having her quiet time right now and Maurie is fast asleep. I have just finished folding laundry and I am thinking about how I wish I didn't have a double chin in the family photos I just spent hundreds of dollars on. I just changed my Facebook cover photo and I uploaded the one that makes it look the least like I have a good fifteen more pounds to lose. When the pictures were taken Maurie was about a week and a half and I was most definitely in the recuperation period; I still am.

Anyways, enough about my double chin. I have been thinking about what I want to dedicate my blog writing to, now that I have rededicated myself to writing on my blog. I have read so many awesome mommy blogs, and I frankly don't think I would be very good at that subject. I don't think I have anything new to say on the matter, but I do want to write about things that I think about during the ins and outs of my day. Sometimes that will involve writing about my family; other times it will be something I read in a book, something I watched on television or even a conversation with a friend. So, what I am really saying is that my blog is going to have random subjects, but all with the intent to uplift and enlighten. I also have to publicly commit to writing on my blog once a week. That helps me stick to it. Also, I want to share something else in regards to my writing. If you don't already know, I teach English. I have taught English for seven years now, and I like to be an example of proper grammar, mechanics and smart, concise writing. With that being said, I am also a mom with a very limited amount of time to write. If you have ever written a paper (think of one that got good marks or that really moved your audience) you know that writing requires time--rewriting. My disclaimer is that I am sacrificing perfection so that I can actually get words onto a page. I have thought about how I tell students that in order to improve their writing they need to keep writing. Well, this is me practicing what I preach and I hope that when you notice that I missed a comma or that I am rambling, you will forgive me and try to get the message.

Today my subject is creativity. Yesterday, I helped a friend cut out some photos and put a paper border around them. It was truly a mindless activity, but I was taking raw materials and making them into something more beautiful. It felt wonderful. I felt like I had accomplished something. I want to create something everyday, but I feel so lost sometimes about what to create. I like to create spaces--decorate, but I have never had any formal training on how to do so. I like to write poetry, but I have received two rejections out of my two poetry submissions, and like I said, quality writing takes time that I have not had. I like to sing and dance, but the last time I did either for the benefit of others was when I was in high school--which is officially ten years ago now. I bought a really nice camera and took a photography class to become more professional, but I don't know enough yet or feel I have the time to practice. The list goes on; I seem to have an excuse for not cultivating my interests, really. So...I need to pick one thing and work on it.

I choose creating loving, capable human beings. I decided this as I looked at Maurie sleeping peacefully on the couch. I started to think about how perfect she was and how miraculous it was that I helped to create her. (I feel pretty good about who I decided to mix genes with.) Making a baby might not be an art, but something beautiful was born and I helped to make it and I still do. Everyday that I help Jane remember to write her J with the hook facing to the left, teach her to share, and remind her to be kind to her friends I am creating a loving, capable human being. Everyday that I snuggle Maurie, rock her to sleep, whisper my love, nourish and protect her, I am helping make something beautiful, To make loving, capable human beings requires work, patience, dedication and vision. So, during this season where time really is short, I will relish the chance I get to create something so much more beautiful than any space, dance, song, poem or photograph, and it is mine forever. I am an imperfect artist; I make many mistakes, but I am an artist nonetheless.

To all the artists in the world...what are you creating? Whatever it is, make sure it is worth your time and don't stop sharing with us.

Best,
Lucy

Watch this inspiring video about creation:

2 comments

  1. Beautiful! You've always been such a great example to me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Lucy!!!! You don't give yourself enough credit. I'm super excited to be reading your weekly blog!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.