Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Meditating on Life

On Saturday I went to a funeral of a man I knew of, but did not know. His life was worthy of celebration and of mourning for its loss. I am always so impressed with what one person can accomplish in life. He had lost his family to war, had become a soldier at a young age, married, had a family and lived a full, compassionate life. He had shown his family what it meant to be happy and good. Many people came to honor him. Whenever I go to a funeral, I reflect on what I have done so far, what I am doing and what I want to get done. Sometimes it takes remembering that life is short to appreciate the time we have here on Earth. As I care for my small family I see how precious time is and what a special job I have. Lately, Jane explains what she learns at preschool, sings songs, and helps me with Maurie. I asked her today if she wanted to run an errand with me and she replied, "Yes, because I am the oldest." Where did my baby go? Maurie is officially sitting up on her own and crawling. She spent some time today pulling herself up on her feet with Jane's toy table. She will walk early. She is six months old, but she is still fits into many of her three month old clothes. She is thirteen pounds and loves being with me the best...I will take it while I can. Time is slipping through my fingers and so is the time with my small children. When I was a kid I was always waiting for something to happen; now I am wondering how I missed an event. 

As I reflect, I believe that if someone says that I was kind and a good wife and mother at my funeral, I will be satisfied. I hope to do many things in my life, but I hope they are never more important than loving God, my family and my neighbor. 

What do you hope someone will say about your life? Do you feel like your life has purpose right now? Anyone have a life motto? What has gone by too quickly for you? 

Here's to living well!

Lucy

Post a Comment

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.