Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Martian and Antibiotics

We have been very sick at our house. Cody missed two days of work and ended up with antibiotics for strep throat. I was not feeling well, but being 36 weeks pregnant, I wanted to see if I could beat it without prescriptions. Nope. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a sinus infection and strep. I am on antibiotics now and I am finally feeling a bit better. Jane has battled flu symptoms on and off for weeks and Maurie has fared pretty well, other than some sleepless nights.

One of the days that it snowed all day, we were all at home hibernating and feeling miserable. We decided to watch a movie. We watched The Martian with Matt Damon in it. I wanted to read the book because it came highly recommended, but I wanted to see the film too. Anyways, as we watched the movie, I remembered wanting to be an astronaut at about eight years old. The NASA program was still very strong and I desperately wanted to go to the Kennedy Space Camp in Florida. I remember looking at the pamphlet my teacher gave me over and over. I dreamed of experiencing zero gravity and being admired for being smart enough to be an astronaut. I discussed going to the camp with my mom, but I knew that we couldn't afford it. Later, I thought about space again when I got invited to a science conference for girls who excelled in math and science in middle school. The STEM careers lack women and still does. I felt like it would be really cool to pave the way for other girls. As most of you know, I took a different path, but I have a special place in my heart for those who have been smart enough and brave enough to enter the STEM careers.

The Martian movie was awesome and it confirmed to me that I would not have enjoyed being an astronaut despite my earlier interest. Space is far too vast...scary, and I have to admit that over time I lost confidence in my math skills and this would have expedited to my early death if I were left on Mars by myself =) You don't have to have had a childhood dream of flying into space to enjoy the film though. It was a great watch with humor, triumph and intensity. We watched it on VidAngel, which is an awesome site for streaming new movies from home. Check it out here.

Also, we enjoyed watching The War Room and Akeelah and the Bee while we were sick.

What careers did you fantasize about through your life? What good movies have you watched lately?

I hope you are enjoying good health and surviving, even enjoying winter.

Best,
Lucy Bowman

2 comments

  1. Ugh! I am glad you are starting to feel better. It sounds like you have had a rough go of it lately! Thank you for the movie recommendations! And how fun to know that you dreamed of being an astronaut. That would be too adventurous for me. I always wanted to be a teacher and a mom, so things have fallen right into place. :) I have been enjoying a television series by Hallmark I believe called "When Calls the Heart." I just finished Series 1 and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen, I am glad that you have become all that you dreamed of being. You are so good at being a teacher and a mom! Thank you so much for the TV series recommendations. I need something new to watch.

      Delete

© Lucy Jo. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.